During the 2009-2010 academic calendar year, the employees of Napoleon Area City Schools voluntarily began working with members of the Ohio Department of Education’s Regional State Support Team on a process to improve the academic achievement of all students. The participants included teachers, building principals, central office personnel, such as the director of student services and the superintendent, and facilitators from the state. Eventually, the group became known as the District Leadership Team (DLT).
After analyzing the academic needs of all students and incorporating statewide educational models, the group created a district-wide strategic improvement plan. The improvement plan has two major goals. Each goal is supported by strategies in order to achieve success.
The following are the goals and strategies of Napoleon Area Schools’ Ohio Improvement Process (OIP):
- Goal #1: By the end of the 2013-2014 school year, all students in Napoleon Area Schools will read at or above grade level as measured by district state assessments.
- Strategy 1A: Implement the Ohio Common Core Standards for Reading and Language Arts.
- Strategy 1B: Implement researched-based instructional strategies and procedures that produce highly effective teaching in each classroom.
- Strategy 1C: Implement common formative and summative assessments by grade levels and content areas to benchmark achievement, identify needs, monitor progress, and adjust curriculum and instruction for all students.
- Goal #2: By 2013-2014, 100% of Napoleon Area City Schools’ staff will implement components of the 21stCentury Model.
- Strategy 2A: Implement Professional Learning Communities to empower all staff in the decision making process.
- Strategy 2B: Implement collaborative processes with students, staff, and community to positively promote the schools.
Starting in 2011 employees of Napoleon Area Schools will align all professional development to achieve the goals and strategies as defined in the strategic improvement plan. Each educator will have the responsibility of:
- Aligning professional development activities to the Ohio Improvement Process,
- Submitting documentation to his/her respective Principal to be evaluated by the Building Leadership Team, and then forward to the District Leadership Team; and
- Utilizing the district’s Professional Development Approval Form and Professional Meeting/Building Leave Request Form.
Professional Development Forms:
- Professional Development Approval Form
- Professional Meeting/Building Leave Request Form available at each building
Each employee’s professional development request will be reviewed by his or her respective Building Leadership Team (BLT). After the initial review, the request will be forwarded to the District Leadership Team (DLT) for final approval. Employees are required to submit the Professional Development Approval Form, the Professional Meeting/Building Leave Request Form, and any supporting documentation for each activity.
Employees are encouraged to complete the appropriate Local Professional Development Committee forms in order to have any professional development approved as continuing education credit for licensure renewal.